Monday, June 22, 2015

Ex Machina - SFReader Movie Review

Ex Machina (2015) Rated R
Starring Domhnall Gleeson, Corey Johnson, Oscar Isaac, Alicia Vikander, Sonoya Mizuno
Directed by Neill Blomkamp
Reviewed by Dave Felts
Rating: (4/5)

Movies about Artificial Intelligence have been around a while. I'm not sure what the first one was, but in 1968, 2001: A Space Odyssey introduced HAL. The first movie that made an impression with me was WarGames in 1983. Then you've got the Terminator franchise, A.I., I, Robot, The Matrix, Her, and a whole host of others.

Most of these films have an already developed A.I. as the adversary with humans struggling to resist extinction at the hands of the machine intelligence. The genesis of that intelligence, for the most part, has already taken place, and now we're dealing with the aftermath. I can't recall any movie that actually looks at deciding whether or not the machine intelligence is actually intelligent and free thinking.

An that's what Ex Machina does. We're introduced to a machine intelligence, but is it really A.I.?

Read more at Maggie - SFReader Movie Review

No comments:

Post a Comment