Monday, November 16, 2015

Prisoner of the Horned Helmet, by James R. Silke, Frank Frazetta Book Review

Alright, before I start, I would like to point out that I have gone back to reread one of my all-time favorite books. Prisoner in the Horned Helmet is not just a superb novel, but it is also a cool project. World famous fantasy artist, Frank Frazetta, teamed up with James Silke to bring one of his most impressive paintings to life in a four book series, often called the Death Dealer series after the title of the painting, which inspired the concept.

I love the idea of art inspiring art. I have often based a story on a painting or a character in a role playing game on a new lead figure I had purchased. But this novel is not a lark or people trying to move into an area they are not ready for. This is a finely crafted novel on multiple levels. The story is strong and riveting. The characters are well crafted and intense. The villains match the heroes in intensity or perhaps surpass them. They in fact have a thing for villains and make them all seem horrid, dangerous, and unique. The writing is also tight and inspired. "He wore his sweat like an extra layer of armor—the night was as dark as a buried stick." Simple, but nice.

Prisoner of the Horned Helmet, by James R. Silke, Frank Frazetta Book Review

No comments:

Post a Comment